![]() |
| Yes, it's a lighthouse. Wanna fight me? |
Years ago, I was stymied by a large canvas of figures framed by a little house and an orchard. Following the conventional advice of
the time, I took it to a well-known artist for critique. “It looks like an immature
Chagall,” she said. In
trying to fix that, I destroyed the work.
My mature self knows exactly what was wrong with that
painting: I was messing around way too much with glazing. A few decades of
maturity have also taught me that orchards and fruit trees are important images to me. There was no cribbing from Chagall.
That critique set me back in my development because the
artist looked at my work through the narrow lens of her own education and
experience. She had no idea what I was striving for. Neither did I, of course,
because I was a callow youth. These things require time and work to become
clear.
I get lots of advice in my mailbox. I generally scan and
ignore it. But this one irked me: “How to Avoid the #1 Obstacle to Becoming a
Professional Artist,” it trumpeted. It went on to talk about how painters need
to take classes and critiques and seek feedback from their peers to avoid what
the writer calls “illusory superiority”—the idea that you think you’re better
than, in fact, you are.
![]() |
| This painting of Beauchamp Point has few fans, but it still resonates with me. That's because it was pointing in the direction in which I was moving at the time. |
In fact, the fastest way to be a mediocre painter is to seek
too much advice from others.
I’m all for learning one’s craft within structured
instruction—it saves a lot of time and wasted material. Beyond that, however, group
thinking should be approached with a certain wariness.
Once you get out of art school, most painting groups are
comprised of supportive, kind, and helpful people. But even these tend to
reward those whose work looks a certain way and ignore those whose inner vision
is radically different from the group’s norm.
If you don’t believe this, just imagine taking your
carefully-crafted landscape to this
gallery and asking for representation. The art world is all about conformity, while at the same time it paradoxically hungers for individual
expression.
A lot of research has been conducted on normative social
influences and conformity. Human beings are social animals. To be liked and
respected within their group, they tend to moderate their own opinions. Research
tells us that group norming is consistent across cultures and gender. In short,
it’s everywhere where two or more of you are gathered together. The ability to
get a group of people to think and work alike is useful in corporate culture, but not so good for making innovative art.
I once heard an artist I admired sneer at “lighthouse
paintings.” Ever since, I’ve approached painting them with some trepidation.
Yes, I understand they are overdone for the tourist trade, but they are also
powerful symbols and beautiful buildings. There is nothing inherently wrong
with them. It irks me that he planted this idea in my mind with a casual
comment he doubtlessly doesn’t even remember.
![]() |
| This painting of the Raising of Lazarus was savaged in a newspaper review. It's not something I'm likely to forget in a hurry. |
I can’t count how many times I’ve heard one painter say to
another, “Stop! You’re done! Not one more brushstroke!” Of course one can
diddle a painting to death, but that process is sometimes necessary for the
next observational breakthrough. By saying that to another painter, you’re
putting yourself in charge of his or her development.
When I was younger, the exposed background in my paintings
often took the form of dark, heavy lines. “That’s your style!” one teacher told
me. I’d had enough art-history classes to know that ‘style’ is a transitory
thing, and I found those lines frustrating. Later, Joe Peller taught me how to marry
edges. What a less-competent teacher took as style, Peller recognized as a
technical deficiency.
This is why we should teach and critique with a light hand.
Even more importantly, we should accept criticism and commentary with a healthy
dose of skepticism. They are no substitute for doing our own hard thinking about our
own work.



2 comments:
Great article. Thank you.
Well said.
Post a Comment