Research is not a luxury in a plein air event. Planning and
preparation are key to success.
| The back tracks of Nova Scotia can be a bit rough for an elderly Prius. |
Subject: I’m
interested in boats, tides, cliffs, rocks, clouds, water, and the small fishing
villages that cling to the edges of the sea. That drives me to the outermost
points, along the cliffs and the small dirt tracks that run along them. In this
part of Nova Scotia, the waterfront is still occupied by people of modest
means. Mobile homes share the coastline with old farmhouses.
I wrote earlier that we couldn’t find the fishing fleet at
Parrsboro. That is because they tie up on the outside of the public landing,
and the tide was down when I was here. With Mary’s help, I found them, but
they’ll still be hard to paint. They’re across a wide basin from the closest
vantage point.
![]() |
| Near Port Greville, Nova Scotia. |
Weather forecast:
Unfortunately, the forecast gets wetter and cooler as we approach the weekend. I’ll
plan for things which need sparkle for tomorrow, and do things which can
tolerate less light on Saturday.
Tide: The tide
affects every seascape. This is most true here on the Bay of Fundy, which has
the highest range in the world. At low tide, channels cut sinuously through the
mud across Parrsboro harbour. At high tide, the town comes sharply into focus
across shimmering water. Every possible painting has several permutations.
Angle of Light: Cape
Blomidon curls into the Minas Basin like Big Boy’s giant lock of hair. It looms
across every vantage point. Its color and clarity depend on the hour. The light
can make a mediocre composition shine. For example, Five Islands are too widely
spaced to make a good painting from the shoreline. But at the witching hour of
dusk, they are lit up by the setting sun.
| A lonely lobster boat on a rising tide. |
Composition: If
you’re not careful, it’s very easy to make an empty painting of the sea. I’m
searching relentlessly for a composition that has foreground interest without
sacrificing the sense of place.
Moon phase: We’re
in a waning gibbous moon, and the sky is going to cloud over as we move forward
in the week. If I’m going to do a nocturne, it will be tonight.
Character: Yesterday
I was asked if I thought the Minas Basin looked just like Maine. Actually I
think it looks more like the Great Lakes. Those red cliffs are the same
sandstone that underlies Niagara. Because it’s soft, the scree at water’s edge
is worn into flat cobblestones. Part of my examination is to put into words how
I know this is the Bay of Fundy, rather than Cape Cod or Wisconsin.
![]() |
| Granite and basalt on much of the North Atlantic coast, but sandstone here. |
Permission: I use
this prep time to ask people if I can paint on their property. Yesterday, when
I did so, a woman told me about a problem in their neighborhood with a rogue
black bear. That’s very handy to know.
All the planning in the world won’t make a ‘great’ painting,
however, and somewhere I need to build in a few hours to rest before our
canvases are stamped and we’re set loose on an unsuspecting public.


No comments:
Post a Comment