How can she be gone when there’s so much work still to be done?
| Grain elevators, Buffalo, by Carol L. Douglas. |
I can’t remember when or why I first met Helen McCombs, but I do remember who introduced us: Dr. Jennifer Kruschwitz. That a self-described former gangbanger would know an optics professor is surprising, but Helen was like that. She also called Pennsylvania’s lieutenant governor, John Fetterman, her friend.
Helen was excitable, easily angered, and wrote in the worst
pidgin English. At the same time, she had a penetrating intelligence. She’d
been coded as ‘learning disabled’ as a kid. It’s more likely that she was
traumatized.
![]() |
| First Ward, Buffalo, by Carol L. Douglas. |
“You really don’t think I’m stupid?” she’d often ask me.
“No, but I think whoever gave you that high school diploma really
ripped you off,” I’d answer.
She took an entrance exam for community college and failed
dismally. We hatched a remediation plan, starting with basic arithmetic. I gave
her homework and she did it faithfully. She consumed western history
voraciously. Her reading and writing skills improved with exposure to great
literature.
You can’t work with someone that closely and not become good
friends. Helen was a newly-hatched Christian, so we started reading the Bible
together. Two chapters a night, week by week, month by month, year by year. Let
God speak for himself, I reasoned.
And he did. Helen began to look at ghetto life in a
different way. We had long discussions about anger and forgiveness, in
particular. Swearing and yelling and getting mad was cultural, she told me. “No
matter what you call it, it’s sin, and it’s self-destructive,” I’d counter.
| North Rochester, by Carol L. Douglas |
Go ahead and accuse me of cultural imperialism. But if you’d listened to her agonize over the violence and loss in her daily life, you might feel differently. The blood feud is alive and well in inner-city America. It manifests itself in casual killings that have become so routine that we no longer even notice them.
My pal Cuevas Walker
does. He ministers in Rochester, NY. Every few months, he’ll mention that he
knew the victim of whatever homicide ticked up the numbers that day. It always
brings me up short.
Even worse than not noticing is the idea that it’s no big
deal if gangbangers all shoot each other. That’s terrifically judgmental. Each of
them is invested with the same miraculous gift of life as you and me, and we
don’t know what history brought them to that dismal end. (Also, gangbangers are
constantly missing and hitting unintended targets, including my goddaughter’s
family restaurant on Monday.)
![]() |
| Heart of Darkness, monotype, by Carol L. Douglas |
For these communities, the message of forgiveness and reconciliation is the only hope. Everything else we’ve tried has failed.
In the last few years, the Holy Spirit began to move in Helen.
Several months ago, her nephew-by-marriage died by tainted drugs. The community
began to mobilize in its usual tiresome way, with accusations and recriminations
that threatened to spill over into violence. In the past, Helen would have been
the first to break a few heads. Instead, she counseled peace.
Helen died Monday, unexpectedly, alone, and way too young. How
can she be gone, I thought, when there’s so much work still to be done? That is
one of life’s unanswerable questions.


6 comments:
I am so moved by your lovely and passionate tribute to your dear friend. The Holy Spirit certainly moves within you. xoxoxo
Carrie
A particularly poignant and sad post. I’m so sorry for the loss of dear Helen.
Dear Carol, This is a heavy post and so sad ..I feel the loss you are experiencing in Helen's passing! So tragic. You write so tenderly about her life and the difficulties she faced in her city life...makes me grieve even more for the losses so many experience here. God, have mercy on our city and the souls we are losing each day. Help us be prayerful for your power to change and move mountains and to keep in prayer for the city of Rochester!
Dear Carol, what a wonderful blog. You are such a good writer! Sincere sympathies for your loss. The "Heart of Darkness" monotype is so compelling.
Mark
I am so sorry Carol, you both were blessed to have each other in your lives and the opportunity to care and learn from each other.
Carol, so sorry for the loss of your dear friend.
Post a Comment