Brad Marshall gives me
some trenchant painting advice.
| On the wall at Camden harbor, watercolor sketch, Carol L. Douglas. |
This spring, the organizers at Parrsboro
International Plein Air Festival gave each participant a hot-press
watercolor block from Winsor & Newton. At 7X10, it’s the perfect size to
slip into a backpack with my sketchbook, and this seemed like the perfect
opportunity to try it.*
Since I don’t sell my watercolors, I give them less
attention than they deserve. Still, I do a lot of them over the course of the
year—as value sketches for bigger oil paintings, to work out composition issues,
or when I just don’t have the steam to set up my full oil-painting regalia. Watercolor
is a great medium for experimentation.
We painted in Camden, on a dinghy dock. All floating docks drop
with the tide, but this dock is accessible by ladder instead of a ramp. It
limited my time. Once it was at the point where I could no longer toss my stuff
up and over onto solid ground, I was going to have a harder time climbing back
up. It would be ignominious in the extreme to have to ask the harbormaster to
rescue me.
![]() |
| But it's all just an excuse to stick our feet in the water anyway. Photo courtesy of Kathy Jalbert. |
In a tight harbor like Camden you’ll usually see big visiting
boats on the nearest docks. These are too close for a good composition (unless
you’re doing a boat portrait) and obscure the boats on moorings. Still, that
overlapping jumble of hulls is the nature of the scene. I’ve been experimenting
recently on using parts
of boats, cropped tight, to suggest that jumble.
Dark hulls, close up, are not an inherently attractive composition.
They make for a boring dull strip across the lower half of the paper. If there’s
to be any background at all, all that darkness lands on one side and unbalances
the painting. Still, it’s such a common situation, and I’d like to devise ways to
deal with it.
I’m a mutterer when I paint, I’m sorry to admit. I wrestle
through my ideas and problems out loud. Finally, Brad looked over at me and
said, “Just don’t suck.” It seemed as good as any other advice, so I took it.
*I think this W/N sample block could convert me to hot press paper, if I can figure
out the scumbling question. It’s a nice, flat sheet, easy to handle, and it
tolerated the sea mist better than my usual Arches cold press does.

No comments:
Post a Comment