If you doubt the adage
“time and tide wait for no man,” take up painting boats.
![]() |
| Late Winter at the Shipyard, unfinished, by Carol L. Douglas |
![]() |
| Easily available, small, light and cheap. Each one holds a dozen paintings. |
There is no way I could have done my Canada trip
using stretched canvas. The newest paintings were in PanelPak carriers. When they reached the
tacky phase, I moved them to pizza boxes. When they were surface-dry, I bound
them together with waxed-paper spacers and put them in a plastic tub. In this
way, more than forty paintings made it back to Rockport with almost no surface
damage.
![]() |
| There are more than 50 paintings in the dry phase in my studio right now. They take up a lot of room. |
Here, however, they needed to dry thoroughly, and once dry,
get their final matte varnish coating. That means they’ve been taking up a lot of space
in my studio. Since my classes start Tuesday, I don’t have time to order a set
of drying rails,
as nice a product as they are. The tie racks were perfect.
It’s finally dawning clear this morning. That figures, since
my day is bookended with meetings. I
need to finish my painting of the Jacob
Pike before she floats out on the tide on Friday or Saturday. If you
doubt the adage “time and tide wait for no man,” take up painting boats. The
tide is an inexorable mistress, as is the fitting out schedule in the boatyard.
On the other hand, there’s the equal and opposing need to finish preparing my
studio for classes.
![]() |
| Here's another angle I'd love to paint, but I'd be in the way. |
I’ve got the boat pretty accurately limned out. It’s the
boatyard that’s not finished. Of course, the star of this painting is the Little
Giant crane in the background. It was
moved since I started this painting last week. Captain Doug Lee offered to put
it back where it was, but I kind of like the hook dangling over the boat. I asked him to
leave it.
I might get to sneak an hour or so over there today. If I don’t, I can finish the background without the boat.
These things have a way of working themselves out.




2 comments:
Clever girl!
Thanks. You should see how nifty it looks now, when ALL the panel paintings are in those smaller racks.
So many of my friends have come up with so many ingenious solutions... this is my one contribution to the practical business of painting. Everything else I do, I've borrowed.
Post a Comment