Plein air painters may
not often break a sweat, but we’re exposed to the same environmental stresses
as athletes.
![]() |
Niagara Falls, pastel,
Carol L. Douglas.
|
Yesterday,
I wrote that when my painting goes south, I ask myself basic questions about my
process and the ergonomics of painting. Then I proceeded to ignore my own
advice. I felt terrible all day, fighting a headache and fatigue. At 2 PM I
took aspirin with a cup of coffee and tucked myself in my bed for a few
moments to wait for them to work. At dinnertime, I awoke with a start when my
friend Barb hallooed from my kitchen. I’d
missed an appointment and wasted an afternoon.
I wasn’t particularly overtired; I was thirsty. Proper hydration
is as much a priority for plein air
painters and long-distance travelers as it is for athletes. Although the
results of drinking insufficient water are less spectacular for us, they’re no
less real.
![]() |
Headwaters of the Hudson, oil on canvas, Carol L. Douglas.
|
I often bring my water bottle with me, only to use it as a
wind-weight on my easel or for wetting paints. Why am I so resistant to drinking
in the field?
The problem isn’t the opportunity to drink fluids; it’s the
opportunity to expel them. Even if you’re accustomed to peeing in the woods, it
isn’t always possible. Le
pipi rustique is simply more difficult for women than it is for men,
and I subconsciously avoid it.
As a teacher, I’m mindful about not putting my students in
situations where there aren’t bathrooms. As a painter, I’m more willing to go
off the beaten path.
![]() |
Curve on Goosefare Brook, 8X6, Carol L. Douglas.
|
The same is true with being on the road. Beverage options
are limited to coffee, water, or sodas. Rest stops are few and far between, and
stopping takes time. Fast food, should you be unlucky enough to have to eat it,
is loaded with sodium. While one could prepare food and beverages at home, it’s
a third level of packing, on top of equipment and clothing. I never seem to have
the time to do it.
It’s true that the benefits of water have been oversold
in recent years. Still, water is important, and we suffer when we don’t drink
it. Our bodies are about 60% water. It plays a role in every major system. Cells
that don't maintain the proper electrolyte balance shrivel, resulting in muscle
fatigue. Water helps our kidneys excrete toxins and keeps our bowels happy. It lubricates
our joints and regulates our body temperature. It helps transport nutrients.
![]() |
Kaaterskill Falls, by
Carol L. Douglas.
|
Plein air painters
may not often break a sweat, but we’re exposed to the same environmental stresses
as athletes: heat, cold, and wind. Hiking with our kits, setting up, and
tearing down are physically demanding. If we’re not hydrated, we can’t perform
at our highest level.
So I’m resolved—once again—to drink more fluids, even when
it’s difficult. Now, if anyone has suggestions on how to succeed at that, I’d
love to hear them.
An addendum: I had an eye exam this afternoon, and I suffer from a common ailment called epithelial basement membrane dystrophy. That's a fancy way of saying "dry eyes," and it just underscores the need to drink more water.
An addendum: I had an eye exam this afternoon, and I suffer from a common ailment called epithelial basement membrane dystrophy. That's a fancy way of saying "dry eyes," and it just underscores the need to drink more water.




2 comments:
I feel your pain. I have not tried these but was amused to see the ad.
https://www.iconundies.com/pages/incontinence-underwear-reviews?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Prospecting&utm_campaign=2LAL55
hahahaha
Gee, thank you, internet!
Post a Comment