New York City is no
longer the center of the known world for me. How did that happen?
| Queensboro Bridge Approach, by Carol L. Douglas |
I told this to Cornelia
Foss one time, as we were scooting north along Madison Avenue. She shuddered.
Now I realize that’s because she was older and wiser. (I wish I could take another
class from her. At 86, she continues to break new ground as a painter.)
Today I live in a state where the locals, by and large,
drive the speed limit and are polite. You’ll never get anywhere here in Maine by
driving aggressively. Jump the queue and there will just be another slow-moving
vehicle ahead.
| Under the Queensboro Bridge, by Carol L. Douglas |
This was a strange concept in driving, but I learned to
embrace it. Now I roll down my windows and enter that quiet state of pokiness that
drives the visitors crazy.
Last time I drove to Queens to meet my pal Brad
Marshall, I found myself really irritated with New York drivers. That
same exuberance that once goaded me to pass on the right, to joyously sound my
horn for no reason, to budge into the box at intersections—it all just annoyed
me. We had somewhere to go, and Brad offered to drive. Rare for me, I happily
agreed.
In my youth, I said that I would stop going to New York if
the vista crossing the George
Washington Bridge failed to move me. I saw it a lot in my younger days. I commuted
from Rochester to take classes at the Art Students League. I had a crash
pad with my friend Peter, on the Upper West Side. We would take classes all day
and then I would drive home to Rochester. Rinse and repeat. If I die young, it
will be with the consolation that I lived my life very fast.
| Underpass, by Carol L. Douglas |
I voided that test by moving east. I no longer use the GW to
get into the city. Instead, I come down through Massachusetts and Connecticut.
There’s no astonishment along that route.
The first sign I was growing cynical about New York came a
few years ago, when I met a Southerner for a weekend. She remarked, in
passing, at how filthy the city is. That’s one of those things, like your aunt’s
fascinating chin hair, that everyone sees but doesn’t mention. But once she commented
on it, I began to see detritus everywhere.
I used to love to paint in the city. Now I understand that was
the granite calling to me. Much of New York, Washington and Chicago are built
of Maine granite. Somehow, I enjoy it more in its natural state.
![]() |
| Staples Street, by Carol L. Douglas |
This morning I’m heading back down to Westchester County for
Rye’s Painters on
Location. Brad’s floating around in the North Atlantic somewhere, but he loaned me his flat. I’m on
my own for both painting and driving. Luckily, Painters on Location is always a blast, and I'll see lots of other friends there.
I still admire New York City, but I’ve met other art scenes that
match my personality better. I’ll visit for a blockbuster show, or to see
friends. But, as for it being the center of the known world, those days are,
sadly, gone for me.

2 comments:
Thanks for sharing your NYC paintings!
You're very welcome.
Post a Comment