The mechanics of
selling are changing, but common courtesy (I hope) will never go out of style.
Headlights, by Carol
L. Douglas
|
Yesterday I wrote about the inevitability
of online sales. Until now, I’ve avoided it, preferring to sell the old-fashioned
way. But more and more professional artists are embracing the idea, and I doubt
it will go away anytime soon.
A professional artist sent me the following comment:
I still want to be in
galleries, but only a very few that I have a great relationship with. The
appeals of online selling to me are these:
- No framing, you ship only when you sell, and you can charge for shipping or not (free shipping on small paintings is a nice thing to be able to offer your subscribers);
- You can offer a painting on multiple online venues at the same time, as long as you remember to remove or mark them sold everywhere;
- It's a nice way to be able to offer a sale without offending your galleries.
![]() |
Commercial scallopers,
by Carol L. Douglas
|
Most galleries have contracts with their artists that limit
their sales in the local geographical area. Artists should respect these
agreements, not just in their letter but in their spirit. If you think being an
artist is a dicey financial venture, consider the costs to run a
bricks-and-mortar store selling artwork. If a gallery has taken you on, you owe
it the courtesy of supporting its marketing efforts.
Online marketing is, in fact, a good way to do that, but as
with everything, you should talk with your galleries first. Some have specific
rules about cross-listing with selling websites. Avoid
putting yourself in the position of retrieving a painting from a gallery because
you sold it somewhere else. Your gallery deserves a commission for
work it’s showing.
A lobster pound at Tenant's Harbor, by Carol L. Douglas (courtesy of the Kelpie
Gallery)
|
Artists occasionally do dumb things that undercut their
relationships with galleries. Showing at other venues in violation of their
contracts is one thing. Undercutting prices in side deals is another. Even worse is saying disparaging things after a few
glasses of wine at openings. Alcohol and business don’t generally play well
together.
You, the artist, ought to be more of a salesman for yourself
and your work than anyone else. “Be relentlessly positive,” is the best motto I
can think of in sales. If you’re doing business with a person you don’t respect,
what does that say about you?
The new sandbar, by
Carol L. Douglas
|
This same logic extends to social media. There is no distinction
between your identity as a person and your professional identity as an artist; you are one
and the same. “I was just being funny,” is never an excuse. People read your
Facebook posts.
Yes, galleries and artists need each other, but there is a
power dynamic at play, too. It shifts depending on who is more successful, the
gallerist or the artist. In general, we need galleries at least as much as they
need us.
I doubt that will change as we buy and sell more across the
internet. There will always be makers of merchandise and sellers of
merchandise. The names of the relationships may change, but common courtesy (I
hope) will never go out of style.

2 comments:
Great article
Nice article.banquet halls in Hyderabad
Post a Comment