![]() |
| The artist dancing with her eldest child. |
That’s true for the artist too. Art-making may be a solitary
job, but the artist needs to be convivial to sell his or her own work.
I’ve thrown more brawls for a hundred or more people than I can count. Actually,
I’d far prefer to do that than to have you over for dinner, which terrifies me.
The invitation is the
key
![]() |
| An opening done by gallerist Sue Leo at Davison Gallery, for my show God + Man. Photo courtesy
Iván Ramos . |
Whether you call it an ‘invitation’ or an ‘advertisement’,
the way you announce your event is key. It tells your intended guests the tone
of the event, and hints at what kind of good time they’ll have. Graphic design
is ruthlessly trend-driven. Spend time on Pinterest and Etsy and pay particular
attention to fonts. They’re as fashion-sensitive as shoes.
Hound your guests
You’ll find yourself repeating, “Are you coming to my party?”
over and over for weeks. This is a good thing. They won’t be excited if you’re
not excited. Scarcity marketing—as perfected by the old Studio 54 in New York—is a
great way to pack the house, but it only works if you’ve already demonstrated that
your parties are worth attending.
Play to your strengths
![]() |
Sue Baines’ hors
d'œuvres are not like those in any other gallery.
|
Sue Lewis Baines of the Kelpie Gallery is a wonderful cook, and
the hors d'œuvre at her openings could
make me rise from my deathbed. Howard Gallagher of Camden Falls Gallery knows how to
assemble great bands for a dance party. I can bake. Know your strengths and
capitalize on them.
Make a budget and
stick to it
I saw the most wonderful fairyland floral arrangements at
the Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel three weeks ago. I whipped out my phone and snapped
several shots, and then set them aside. To change my decorating scheme at this
late date would cost a small fortune. A budget set in stone is the only way to survive
to throw another party.
Work way in advance
![]() |
| A beer-themed opening of my students' work at VB Brewery in Fairport, NY. |
Procrastination is the worst possible habit for the host or
hostess of a party. I have been working on this upcoming one for months.
Be surprising
Good taste is so highly overrated. What’s important is that
people laugh and have a good time. If they can’t figure out how ceramic dogs,
moose, and woodland animals go together, they might be overthinking this. The
artist’s job, after all, is to give linear thinkers a respite from their own
minds.
Ask for help
Nobody can throw a party for 200 without help, so when
someone offers to help, smile and accept gracefully. Hire out what you can.
And on that note, I’m shuffling
off to Buffalo for my third daughter’s wedding. It's about time for you to
consider your summer workshop plans. Join me on the American
Eagle, at Acadia
National Park, or at Genesee Valley
this summer.




No comments:
Post a Comment