Failed paintings are less common than you think. You just have to look at them the right way.
| This is an example of an unfinished painting that pointed the way forward. It took years for me to understand where I was going with it. |
Last week, as I
dithered about which paintings to submit to Santa Fe Plein Air Fiesta, a
reader wrote, “Can you write a post sometime about what you do with the second-tier
paintings you make? Do you just scrape them? Give away to unsuspecting
strangers? Donate, unsigned, to charity thrift shops? Let them accumulate and
breed in a dark basement?”
First of all, let me be clear that I don’t think any of
last week's five (or the
one I didn’t finish on Friday) are ‘second tier’ paintings. I’m happy with
them all, and I think they’re sellable. They’re not sellable in either of the
galleries that represent me on the Maine coast, however. I have two options: I will
market them through
my own studio, or sell them online through Chrissy Pahucki’s pleinair.store.
![]() |
| Spring, by Carol L. Douglas. I hated this when I painted it. Now I've almost caught up with it. |
I’ve done plein air
events where I’ve sold exactly nothing, and other events where I’ve sold
everything. It’s unpredictable. At the end of the summer, I usually have more
work left over than I’ve sold. Usually these works end up selling in future
years. Occasionally, they end up donated to fundraisers, but only
for organizations I care about, who can get a fair-market price for their work.
But let’s talk about paintings that aren’t good enough to
sell. It happens, although the artist in his or her post-creative exhaustion is
the usually the last person to be a good judge of whether a painting has merit
or not. Some artists are quick to scrape out everything they don’t like. After
all, professional-grade painting panels are expensive.
![]() |
| Hollyhocks, by Carol L. Douglas. Sometimes you have to paint something a number of times to realize you aren't interested in the subject. I thought I should be, since I'd planted this garden. |
I don’t think scraping out is a good idea. It means new and difficult ideas are stillborn. How do you find
a path forward without contemplating each tangled byway to see if this is the
way forward?
These paintings—the edgy, difficult ones that don’t seem to
have much value—go on racks to dry, and then into into bins
in my studio, where they’re available at a reduced price. I can’t tell you how
many times I’ve looked through those bins and suddenly seen something wonderful
that I’ve never noticed before. My brain likes the status quo. Often it takes a few years for it to catch up with the
intelligence of my hands. Those bins are part of the process of dragging it
forward.
| 59th Street Bridge Approach, by Carol L. Douglas. There are subjects I used to love, but love no more. |
I have a few customers who love the bins, and they root
through them every time they visit. They can definitely get a good bargain
there, because the binned paintings are available for a fraction of the cost of
framed paintings.
Sometimes, these binned paintings live on as reference for
larger works—I’d much rather scale up a field sketch in the studio than a
photograph. Sometimes, I revise and finish in the studio. For example, the
seasonal lag between New Mexico and Rockport, ME, means that I can comfortably
find an apple tree here to use to finish Friday’s
painting.
But, yes, sometimes I paint total dogs that aren’t useful
for reference, for overpainting, or for any purpose known to mankind. These I destroy. Although that doesn't happen very often, I reserve the right to edit my own legacy.


No comments:
Post a Comment