Great ideas don’t pay
the rent. You need a practical plan.
![]() |
| Autumn farm, pastel, Carol L. Douglas |
First this: my pal Jennifer tells me, quite reasonably, that
if I don’t tell anyone I’m teaching a class in October, they’re unlikely to come. Apparently the same principle applies to parties. Who knew?
If you are interested in improving your painting, or
taking up painting for the first time, and you’ll be in mid-coast Maine for its
most beautiful season—Autumn—then by all means put me on your schedule.
This is a six-week plein
air class, starting October 2 and ending November 6. We’ll meet from 10 AM
to 1 PM every Tuesday. If the weather permits, we’ll go out to a location. If
not, we’ll be in my studio at 394
Commercial Street in Rockport. Oils, watercolor, pastel and acrylic
painters are all welcome. And I don’t care if you’re a beginner or have an MFA.
I spend my time one-on-one, not pontificating in front of an easel. The fee is
$200.
![]() |
| Have I ever mentioned that I love teaching plein air painting? |
Now, to the meat of this post. I’m presenting at Maine International
Conference on the Arts (MICA) this Friday, September 28. This is a two-day
conference for Maine artists, arts educators, and arts organizations. It
addresses the questions of art making, arts education, capacity-building
strategies and skills, and more.
I don’t know a single artist who doesn’t want to make money doing his or her art. In fact, money is part of the communication
between the artist and his clients. Your clients are saying “I like your work
enough to want to share my space with it,” each time they make a purchase. A purchase is an important form of validation.
| Public market, by Carol L. Douglas. |
Many artists are singularly inept at business. Some cover
that up with lofty sentiments about being above mere money. But great ideas don’t
pay the rent. If you’re confused about how to monetize your art, this conference
is a good place to start.
“I’m just not good at business” is as dumb an excuse as, “I
can’t draw a straight line” is for drawing. I’m pretty fuzzy on practical
matters myself. But I’ve learned to present myself and my work, make strategic
plans, and use the internet to promote my work. If I can do it, you can too.
| The Dugs, by Carol L. Douglas |
I’m talking about a narrow topic—how to write a successful art
blog—but I’m one tiny cog in this vast conference. There are twenty break-out
sessions altogether. I’ve put together a short presentation that’s practical
and narrow. I assume my fellow presenters have been similarly economical and to
the point.
That means you’ll have good information to take home and
mull over through the off season. If a better business model is your goal, MICA
is a great place to start.


No comments:
Post a Comment