Most of us were
trained to work hard. It may be killing us.
![]() |
Schoodic sunset, photo
by Carol L. Douglas
|
I didn’t sketch; I didn’t paint; I took no reference photos.
I was there as a tourist, enjoying the changing fall foliage in our oldest
national park.
It’s not that I don’t like to paint in Acadia. I’ve taught there for
years. In fact, I will head back up later this month to work. (For one thing,
the LL Bean outlet didn’t have any insulated boots in my size.) However, sometimes
one needs a rest and a beautiful view. That’s true for every worker.
![]() |
Drying towels, by
Carol L. Douglas (private collection)
|
The Framingham Heart
Study is a long-term ongoing cardiovascular study that began in 1948. Among
its findings is a correlation between time off and longer, healthier lives. Men
who skipped vacations for several years were 30% more likely to suffer heart
attacks than those who took annual vacations. These vacations didn’t need to be
elaborate or long; they simply needed to be a time when the worker downed tools
and did something else, preferably with family and friends.
Then there’s brain function. We need time off in order to do
our jobs better. Neuroscientists believe that chronic
stress changes neural networks. Cortisol interferes with learning and memory,
lowers immune function and bone density, and increases weight, blood pressure,
cholesterol, heart disease, depression and mental illness.
![]() |
High Tide, Scott Island,
by Carol L. Douglas (private collection)
|
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average
American works 44 hours per week, or 8.8 hours per day. We have the
longest work-week in the world, and even though we’re four times as productive as
our grandparents were in 1950, we haven’t seen that translate into more
time off. That’s a cultural phenomenon as much as it is a necessity. Most of us
were trained to work hard, and we don’t know how to get out from under that
except to retire.
![]() |
Flood tide, by Carol
L. Douglas (private collection)
|
There's a hidden way in which our workload has increased. The percentage of women in the workforce has nearly doubled since 1950. Housework is now a burden added to the paid workweek, for both men and women.
I’ve read that unemployment is at a
45-year low. Even the U6 rate, which includes marginally-attached workers and
people working part time because they can’t find full time work, is
approaching historic lows. That gives workers the kind of power we haven’t
seen since Nixon was President. I hope as people renegotiate their terms of
employment, they remember to ask for more time off. Maine is waiting for you.




No comments:
Post a Comment