At Quimperle, 1901, Fritz
Thaulow.
|
Where I could plan
around expected surgery, an unexpected hospitalization left me unprepared, and
I haven’t had anything for you the last few days. Sorry about that.
I’d
say you have to get up pretty early in the morning to find a painter I’m not
familiar with. It figures, then, that a British friend—five hours ahead of us—would
come up with one: Fritz Thaulow.
Alkejegeren, 1892,
Fritz Thaulow. It was the ripple pattern from the oars in this painting that first
caught my attention.
|
Johan Frederik “Fritz” Thaulow was a Norwegian impressionist
who specialized in painting water. He was one of the earliest of the Skagen
Painters, a group of artists who gathered in Skagen in the last decades of the
19th century. Skagen, in northernmost Denmark, was a summer holiday destination.
Its scenery and quality of light attracted artists to paint using the plein air method of the French
impressionists. Its fishing industry attracted them to paint social realism in
the style of the Barbizon painters.
A Factory Building near an Icy River in Winter, pastel, 1902, Fritz Thaulow.
|
In 1892, Thaulow moved to France, where he lived until his
death in 1906. By that time, Thaulow was well-known in America. “He was the
painter of the running stream, of the effects of light upon the snow, of the
twilight that suggests more than it reveals and softens and etherealizes what
it clothes,” F.E. Grant wrote in requiem.
On a French River, 1893,
Fritz Thaulow. He was the painter of the running stream, indeed.
|
I understand the
impulse to relocate to the center of the known art world, since I live on the
periphery of the New York art scene. But I’ve also wondered why the art world
is so centered on certain places—Paris and San Francisco and London and New
York—that great painters from elsewhere end up as historical footnotes. Australia’s
David Davies and the rest of the Heidelberg School, for example, are
fundamentally unknown in the United States, and undervalued as well.
Let me know if you’re interested in painting
with me in Maine in 2014 or Rochester at any time. Click here for
more information on my Maine workshops!
No comments:
Post a Comment