
I love travel but loathe packing. My clothes take me fifteen
minutes or so, as one pair of paint-stained clamdiggers is interchangeable with
any other. It’s the tools, paints and supplies that require thought. I always print out my student supply list as
a starting point. (You can find a copy here.)
I had unexpected company on the weekend. That meant I was even
less prepared than usual. Still, with list in hand, I was unlikely to forget
anything useful.
I’m on my way to Freeport in the Bahamas to paint with Joelle Feldman and Bobbi Heath. I felt good about my packing job
until I saw theirs. Bobbi also works from a list, but hers is separated into “checked
luggage” and “carry on.” Bobbi’s painting kit was lost en route to Brittany last year and not recovered until long after
she got home. She has learned the painful lesson that some things shouldn’t be
checked.
![]() |
| Less attention to my pedicure, more to packing would have helped. |
Recently, one of my students arrived at the airport with a
new 150 ml tube of paint in her carry-on bag. “Everyone knows you can’t do
that,” we think. You’d be surprised at the mistakes you can make if you’re
rushed or tired. Mercifully, it was just titanium white instead of a more
expensive pigment.
Bearing that in mind, I carefully tucked my paints into my
checked luggage. My tools and easel I kept in my carry-on. They are the
priciest part of my kit and would be the hardest to replace on the road.
Joelle is a pastel painter. Her entire kit and clothing fit
into a carry-on bag. That’s partly because she’s very efficient. Her clothes
were vacuum-packed. Bobbi and I have the excuse of being oil painters to
explain our extra luggage. We’d also been advised to bring toilet paper and
paper towels with us, so our bags were fluffier than normal.
![]() |
| You really packed a half-empty bottle of plonk, Carol? |
The first intimation that I might have done a bad job
packing came last night when I realized I’d tucked my umbrella into my kit. It’s
cumbersome and I never bring it on the road if I can help it. There was no
going back, so it is heading to the Bahamas with me. This morning I noticed an
odd shape sticking out of my suitcase. Investigating, I found a half-finished
bottle of wine. It has been in my luggage since I returned from Canada in
October.
![]() |
| Bobbi's suitcase was far more orderly than mine. |
Even we couldn’t face stale red wine before 6 AM. So I
rinsed my hair with it.
But my real painting advice for the day is to make sure you
put your palette knives, scraper and Leatherman tool in your checked luggage,
not your carry-on. The alternative—replacing them or paying for another checked
bag—are both expensive, as I now know.
Looking for packing advice?
You should probably ask Bobbi or Joelle.



4 comments:
I envy Bobbi's efficiency😎 Have a great trip.
hahahaha. That made me laugh right out loud. Have a great trip. Your adventures have become something that I dearly look forward to following. I need a Rockport date when you get back.
Now practice those packing skills for Monhegan!
Thank you. Right now I am really missing that wine!
Post a Comment