It’s August:
blueberries, lobster rolls, shimmering seas, lighthouses, ocean breezes and the
rock-ribbed coast.
![]() |
| Breaking Storm, by Carol L. Douglas, courtesy Camden Falls Gallery. |
This show will be up for next week’s Artwalk, and remain up through
September. It’s an opportunity to show something in addition to landscape. I brought
several still lives, including my all-time favorite, my tin-foil hat. I
suddenly realized it needed a new name, so Conspiracy
Theory it is.
![]() |
| Conspiracy Theory, by Carol L. Douglas |
I didn’t paint this as a political statement, but an
experiment in reflective surfaces. Still, I work with social media daily. I’m
not oblivious to its faults. Whenever I feel a blast of the inanities, I don
that painting as a profile picture. Perhaps someone needs the real thing in
their office.
Local Market is at 150 Maine Street in Brunswick. If you stop to
look at the art, you can also get lunch or a gift while you’re there. It’s that
kind of place.
![]() |
Two Islands in the Rain,
by Carol L. Douglas, is at Wyler’s through the end of September.
|
Farther south, there are a few of my paintings at Jakeman Hall
in Ocean Park. The association holds unsold work from Art
in the Park through Christmas. It’s not a hardship to visit Ocean Park; it
has a long sand beach so you can combine your visit with sunbathing.
Last time I was in Camden, my painting, Breaking Storm (top) was in the window at Camden Falls Gallery. This large canvas
features the schooner American
Eagle passing Owl’s
Head in a purely imaginary tempest. I like the wind and the water and, of
course, the boat is a peach.
![]() |
Fort Point Historic Site,
by Carol L. Douglas, was last year’s Juror’s Choice Award winner at Wet Paint
on the ‘Weskeag.
|
I’m also represented by the Kelpie Gallery in South Thomaston, which
is the host of Wet
Paint on the ‘Weskeag, a one-day plein air event to raise money for the Georges River Land Trust. I’ll be there
next Saturday (August 17), but before that, I’m off to teach my annual workshop at Schoodic Institute.
And there lies the rub: while my paintings will be here, I
won’t. Of necessity, my
own gallery in Rockport closes while I’m on the road. From Wet
Paint on the ‘Weskeag, I leave
directly for the Adirondack
Plein Air Festival, and from there to Plein
Air Plus in Long Beach Island, New Jersey. I’ll be back near the end of the
month.
![]() |
| I didn't schedule my workshop to coincide with blueberry season, but it always seems to work out that way. |
Meanwhile, the line at Red’s Eats snakes along the sidewalk,
the blueberries are pie-ready, the fog curls its little fingers around the rocky
points. I’m not sure why I’m leaving. I’m not sure how anyone can resist coming
here.





No comments:
Post a Comment