You can learn a lot from videos, but the boring parts are
edited out. It’s good to see our dithering.
| It's all about that green, by Carol L. Douglas. |
Usually I like to schedule the rain on my third or fourth
day, so my students have a chance to get down onto the shore and collect
detritus to make a still life. This hadn’t happened.
I tend to avoid full demos, instead demonstrating one key
process each day during lunch. That’s more about my own hyperactivity than
anything else. I never could sit through an all-day demo. Still, you can’t take
away people’s processes and not give them a viable option in exchange.
| My happy painting crew. |
It’s hard to paint from under that picnic pavilion.
Traveling around the compass from the north, there is a restroom and a trash
can, a chain link fence, a helicopter landing pad, and the mown edge of a woods.
I find the restroom the most visually interesting, but settled on a gash in the
woods where a service road cuts down to the park’s volunteer housing.
I started with developing an idea, and how I built it from
what I saw. I did a sketch, a value study in watercolor and then slowly
developed a painting through all its constituent steps, focusing on how to move
from thin layers to fat layers at the top.
Oil paints dry at different speeds depending on the
pigment. However, the more oil in the paint, the longer it takes to oxidize,
and the more flexible the paint film is. That’s great on top layers, where you
want an oily binder to prevent “sinking,” where the oils in the top layer
settle into lower layers. It’s not so good in the lower levels, where
flexibility means instability. Ignoring this practice can result in cracked,
less durable, paintings.
![]() |
| By mid-afternoon, the skies were clearing. Photo courtesy of Jennifer Johnson. |
Knowing that is one thing, but it’s kind of
like making pie crust. Until you’ve seen it done, you don’t know what kind of
consistence you’re really looking for. The best way to understand is to stick
your finger in the paint, which I invited my students to do.
You can learn a lot from videos, but the boring parts are
edited out. It’s good for students to see how many times we dither and change
our minds.
Often in peninsular Maine, the weather can be very different
in two nearby places. We drove to Frazer Point feeling hopeful. Sadly, it was
still dripping. The parking lot was empty. Should we wait it out?
| By evening, it was beautifully clear again. |
As we talked, the wind shifted. The rain stopped and
suddenly the visitors were back in swarms. It was fabulous painting, and some
of us stayed almost until the dinner bell rang at six.
I went back to my room and took a hot bath to scrub the
paint off. Many of my students went to a talk on bats. “Why didn’t they just
drive?” asked my husband. It took me a minute, but then I laughed.

No comments:
Post a Comment