| I threw out 90% of my drawings, keeping only those of sentimental value. This could be nobody but my friend, clothing designer Jane Bartlett, posing for a quick sketch. |
| And this, of course is my long-term plein air pal Marilyn Feinberg, being unusually still. |
Twelve man-hours later, the winnowing fork has done its duty,
and I can think again.
Artists tend to be pack-rats—after all, one never knows when
that beaver skull or fake mustache will come in handy. But at a certain point,
the clutter overwhelms. I paint best in a spare, very ordered environment, and
much of my working day is spent trying to stop myself from trashing that.
| The plein air board stash. Neatly reduced (although I suspect there's another box of them in my frame shop). |
Out went the acetate and rubylith left over from the days
when designers stripped in pages. Out went stained or marked paper. Out went damaged prints.
About a decade ago I decided to save
all my gesture drawings. I have no idea why; I've never looked at any of them since. Out they went, too, netting me a full flat-file drawer
for other purposes. I tossed a large stack of
mediocre drawings, keeping only a few of sentimental value and a couple of painting cartoons that still amuse me.
About once a year, I toss out several pounds of paintings I
no longer like. I slash these canvases and boards, because I never want them returning, zombie-like,
to embarrass me in the future. I reserve the right to edit the story of my life,
and that includes my work.
What remains is a mixture of unfinished work that is in some
way instructive, finished work that’s just “resting” outside frames for a short
while, and a whole range of stuff I’m still not sure about.
Next up, my frame shop. That's a scary thought.
Now that I'm so darn organized, I can start thinking about what's coming up. There is only one slot open for my July workshop at Lakewatch Manor in Rockland, ME, and August and September are sold out. Join us in July or October, but please hurry! Check here for more information.
Next up, my frame shop. That's a scary thought.
Now that I'm so darn organized, I can start thinking about what's coming up. There is only one slot open for my July workshop at Lakewatch Manor in Rockland, ME, and August and September are sold out. Join us in July or October, but please hurry! Check here for more information.
No comments:
Post a Comment