| North-South Lake, the Catskills, 9X12, oil on canvasboard, by little ol' me. |
I have been in many spectacular places around the world, but
I never realized that one of them is practically in my backyard, and I’ve never
seen it before. This is NYS Route 23A in Greene County.
This is most peculiar because I’ve been in Palenville (through
which 23A passes) several times to hang with my buddy, painter Jamie Williams Grossman. I
guess we just never turned right before.
| North-South Lake, the Catskills, 9X12, oil on canvasboard, by little ol' me (and not quite finished). |
Palenville was a center of the Hudson River school. Thomas
Cole, Frederic Church, and other notable painters stayed and
worked there. (Palenville is also the fictional home of Rip van Winkle,
although it’s surprising that he could get any sleep, between the waterfalls,
the Great Horned Owls, and the frogs and peepers who sing in the night.)
| Rain was on the forecast, but it was a far nicer day than anyone anticipated. |
Route 23A passes several of the Catskill High Peaks before
dropping into the Hudson Valley via Kaaterskill Clove. The section I drove today runs along
Kaaterskill Creek in the general area made famous by the Hudson River painters.
It’s no surprise that they loved it; it’s stupendous: the narrow rock walls
vary between green, grey and red, and great boulders are washed in spray as the
creek bounces its way down the steep gorge.
| Beavers hard at work everywhere. |
We met—a group of sixteen New York Plein Air Painters—at North-South Lake.
This was a favorite subject of the Hudson River school, particularly Thomas
Cole. For a long time, the prestigious resort hotels in the area made it
synonymous with the Catskills.
The park includes the site of the Catskill Mountain House,
built in 1823. It was one of the premiere vacation spots of the 19th
century. Today, all that’s left is the view—miles and miles of the Hudson River
at your feet—and the forest paths.
| Never one to waste a canvas, Patricia McDermond painted over an unfinished nude, engendering all kinds of comments from bystanders. |
Because I’ve never been to this park before, I had to spend some
time poking around and looking at things before painting. It was a full day,
ending much too soon, and I can’t wait to come back.
Tomorrow we will meet at the trailhead for Kaaterskill Falls,
made famous by the Hudson River painters. At 260 feet, it’s impressive, even
for someone raised in the shadow of Niagara Falls.
There are still a
few openings in my 2014 workshop in Belfast, ME. Information is available here.
2 comments:
Love the birches. Is it for sale? Price?
Thank you for your inquiry. It is available. The price is $450, in a handsome black/gold plein air frame.
Post a Comment