| I've painted the Erie Canal all over the place (this one time in Gasport, NY). How much more can it teach me, right? |
The plein air
instructor has a lot more to do than simply show up and coax brilliance out of her
students. She must first reconnoiter: is there a way to get equipment from a
staging area to the painting site? Are there bathrooms? Even better, can you
get a cup of coffee anywhere nearby?
| I aim to know where every Porta-Potty in the Northeast is before I'm through. |
It also behooves the plein
air teacher to have a comprehensive knowledge of plants and trees. Not only
does it help figure out when a painting site will be at its best, but it can
also help avoid a disastrous encounter with, say, poison ivy.
My friend Mary has been urging me to explore the canal between
Schoen Place and the Great Embankment in
Pittsford. I’ve painted frequently in both places and many others on the canal
besides. What could this little strip of land have that I haven’t already seen?
I found a lovely red barn against which was growing one of
my favorite springtime plants, Greater
Celandine (chelidonium), which is remarkable both for its lovely yellow
flowers and for its many pharmacological and herbal uses. The Celandine will
survive a week of rain and be there next week. But what is that lurking next to
it? Not a Queen
Anne’s Lace, but its toxic and invasive Giant Hogweed
cousin, which causes nasty contact dermatitis.
![]() |
| A Giant Hogweed unfurling its leaves in the middle of a view I admire. (Photo courtesy of Mary Brzustowicz) |
And just a little further down the path sits another noxious
member of the carrot family: water hemlock. It
has to be ingested to kill you, but it’s the most toxic plant growing in
America and nearly a dead ringer for benign Queen Anne’s Lace.
![]() |
| And another Queen Anne's Lace ringer, water hemlock. (Photo courtesy of Mary Brzustowicz) |
It happens so frequently in nature: deadly wolfsbane is in
the same family as harmless little buttercups. Sumacs include poison ivy,
poison oak, poison sumac, and a whole host of benign and lovely relatives.
In a lifetime of talking people through their problems, I’ve
recently concluded that having a toxic person or two in a family isn’t the
exception; it’s the rule. But it wasn’t until I was walking in the woods today
that I realized that this is the way we’re designed. That isn’t a solution to
the problems caused by toxic relatives, but I suppose it makes them easier to
bear.
![]() |
| A thousand greens, our canal. (Photo courtesy of Mary Brzustowicz) |
(And I must admit that the site Mary found, just east of
Schoen Place, meets all my criteria and provides a unique view of the canal.
Now to find a time to paint it, since it’s going to rain for the next three
days.)
Whoa, Nellie! August
and September are sold out at Lakewatch Manor. Join us in June, July and
October, but please hurry! Check here for more information.



No comments:
Post a Comment