Marilyn and I painted together forever: when we started, we
could jog the trails at High Tor on our breaks, tolerate freezing our paints in
a vineyard, or nearly be washed away on a bridge in a torrential downpour. By
the time she and her husband retired to Florida, we were somewhat more sedate, and
marginally more sensible.
![]() |
| Oakland Shores Motel and Cabins, Rockland, ME, 9X12, oil on canvasboard, painted while traveling with Kristin Zimmermann. |
Another painting buddy of long standing is Kristin
Zimmermann. She is definitely an urban animal. Occasionally I could cajole her
to leave Manhattan, but she isn’t that keen on all that green. That’s fine; I ♥ New York too. I’m accustomed
to using a car to move my painting kit around, and using the subway requires
miniaturization. I learned a lot about efficient packing from Kristin, but she
never could stop me from tripping over my own feet.
| Lake Champlain from on top of a stupid cliff, 11X14, oil on canvasboard |
Then there is my young painting buddy, Matthew Menzies, who
is at Rhode Island School of Design now. He painted with me while in high
school. Matt spun a tale one day in which I died by falling off a cliff at High
Tor, after which he and Marilyn discovered that I had the car keys in my pocket.
Last summer, Matt and I met up in Burlington, VT to paint
together. Far be it from us to set up someplace sensible: we found our best
view from a narrow ridge, hoisting our kits 25 feet up an almost vertical
incline. I am happy to report that I am still alive.
If you're interested in joining us for a fantastic time in mid-Coast Maine this summer, check here for more information. There's still room in my workshops.


No comments:
Post a Comment