The first year I did Rye’s Painters on Location, I painted a lovely, long, low sailboat from a
spot overlooking Mamaroneck Harbor. Living as I do in the Great Lakes basin, I’ve
drawn and painted boats frequently enough. What I had overlooked
was the tide, which confused me with constant angle changes.
| My last painting for Rye's Painters on Location. Mamaroneck Harbor, 18X24, oil on canvas. |
Mercifully, the boat’s owner was among the bidders that
night and I escaped with my pride intact. The last few years I painted in that
event, I worked in the same harbor, but from floating docks. This was much
easier from a drafting standpoint but tough on the legs after two days.
Penobscot view, February 2013. Not Castine proper but close enough. How much more beautiful this will be come summer!
|
Such are the vicissitudes of painting in a plein air event. You can think you
understand the subject, but still be confused at the point when your brush hits
the canvas.
Last February, I took my family on an odd little pilgrimage
up Castine way, looking for the West Brooksville childhood home of one of my
chums. It was unutterably beautiful in February; imagine how lovely it will be
in July!
Off-roading in
Holbrook Island Sanctuary State Park, in my little Prius. Take that, you
4-wheel-drive vehicles!
|
Every inch of the coast of Maine is simply beautiful. One would be hard-pressed to come up with a favorite stretch of
rock-bound coastline. And even within particular regions, there are so many choices! What will I paint? My pal recommended Our Lady of Holy Hope on
Perkins Street, or sunrise at the Tidal Pool, or the Main Square. Any other
suggestions?
At any rate, come watch me paint in Castine on July 27, and be sure to say hi when you see me. Or take my Maine painting workshops in the Rockland area—once a month through the
summer months (check here
for more info, or email me).
No comments:
Post a Comment