Trouble is, I never
remember their titles when I’m asked.
The first is Kevin
Macpherson’s Landscape
Painting Inside & Out, which is a nice introduction to plein air painting by an extremely
competent teacher and painter. If you like this book, you might also try his Fill
Your Oil Paintings with Light &Color.
I was teaching in a small town in New Mexico when the dusty
little square suddenly filled with painting students and their teacher, Kevin Macpherson.
To me, that was the equivalent of a provincial singer suddenly confronted by Maria
Callas, and I was quite unnerved. But he was extremely gracious.
The second book is The
Group of Seven and Tom Thomson by David
Silcox. If you want to understand the northern landscape, you must
study the Group of Seven. However, painters from any region can benefit from studying how
they paint into traps, see landscape mosaics, and use stylish design. And their ideology—the
power of the Great White North—ain’t bad, either.
Daughter getting married in two days! Hanging on by a
thread.
Let me know if you’re
interested in painting with me in Maine in 2014 or Rochester at any time.
Click here for
more information on my Maine workshops!
1 comment:
3a.m.!
Post a Comment