![]() |
Maine Ice Storm, Jamie
Wyeth.
|
My pal Toby warned me that I was driving into an
ice storm. It stretched from coastal New Jersey to western Massachusetts. But I’ve
been driving for almost 40 years (legally) and I drive a lot. In fact, I’d
estimate that I’m one of those “million mile” drivers without infractions or
accidents. There is always a bolt hole somewhere along the way to stop, and I
have emergency provisions in my car.
![]() |
Ice on the Hudson, Childe Hassam, 1908
|
The first indication you’re in trouble is usually when your
car picks itself up and floats across the road. Mercifully, there was no
oncoming traffic on Route 20. When I arrived at my destination, my Prius
floated down the hill with no intention of stopping. I opened my door and
realized that I was on perfectly smooth skating ice, unfortunately without skates.
![]() |
Morning mist in the mountains, Casper David Friedrich, 1808
|
This morning I’m crossing the Berkshires, and I’d rather let
someone else test the ditches. So I’m dallying in Pittsford over a second cup
of coffee.
![]() |
Study for
Ice Flow, Allagash, Neil Welliver, 1996
|
Hopefully, my vagabond summers are coming to an end. I’m
meeting with a Realtor tomorrow morning in mid-coast Maine. From there, I’ll
head up to Schoodic to do a little painting (weather permitting, of course).
But first another cup of coffee and a hot shower before I hit the road.
Let me know if you’re interested in painting with me in Maine in 2015 or Rochester at any time. Click here for more information on my Maine workshops! Download a brochure here.




No comments:
Post a Comment