| Unfinished, by Carol L Douglas, 16X20, oil on canvas. (The color is distorted because it was dark when I shot this.) |
Over the past three years, I have become enamored of the
luminist paintings of Fitz
Henry Lane. That doesn’t mean I want to paint like him, but I love the
space and light in his paintings. I started this boat painting with him in
mind, but I did not look at his work. I wanted his technique to suffuse my
understanding, rather than push me toward painting like him.
![]() |
| If I'm unsure about the composition, I compare it to this grid I learned in a workshop taught by Steven Assael. |
Sailboats are elegant, and they glide like living creature
across the sea. I generally paint them at dock because it is extremely
difficult to paint them en plein air
in motion, (although I did give it a try at Rye
in 2013).
| My underpainting. The sky is a complete fabrication. I need to recapture some of the bluntness of this when I finish the painting. |
![]() |
| My reference photo, taken at the start of the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta. |
On Monday, I wrote about consistency
and how your style is ultimately your brand. A reader asked how one can
experiment, grow and change while still being consistent. Artists know that the
creative process never ends; you wrestle through one technical problem only to
be faced by another.
Ironically, that was the precise problem I found myself
facing. I went back to first principles. I drew and drew the boat until I was
confident about its proportions. Since I was unsure of how to divide the space,
I used a grid taught by Steven Assael.
![]() |
Boston Harbor was
painted by Fitz Henry Lane around 1850.
|
The end result taps into Lane’s luminism, but is by no means
a slavish copy. It is both consistent with my work and yet it explores new material.
It’s not finished, but it is a good start.



No comments:
Post a Comment