 |
| Frozen paints... |
 |
| ...lead to a frozen sketch. |
A week ago today, I drove up the Maine coast in slow stages.
Maine is beautiful in winter, but it’s not the same kind of beauty as in
August. Mid-coast Maine and Rochester have
about the same winter temperatures. (As here, it gets colder the farther away
from open water you go.) But there’s far more winter sun in Maine, and it
creates the illusion of warmth.
 |
| Belfast tugs, last summer. That's my student Brad Van Auken's painting start. |
I stopped in Belfast, ME for groceries, a gallery call, and a
few moments of sketching at the harbor. Belfast often has tugs under repair in
its boatyard, and it is a pretty place even in January. I pulled out my
watercolor sketch kit and started a fast sketch of the pretty red boathouse.
When my paints froze in the pan, it was a sign that I should move on.
 |
| North of Ellsworth, US 1 becomes a much quieter, more contemplative road. |
After Ellsworth, ME (the turn-off to Bar Harbor), US 1 becomes
a much quieter road, especially in winter. My goal was to arrive in Winter
Harbor by dusk. After
a quick trip out to Schoodic Point to catch the winter sun setting over the
ocean, I settled in for the night.
 |
| Sun setting over Schoodic Point. |
Not wanting to head into Winter Harbor for a pub meal, I
was forced to cook myself dinner. I reminded myself that wine goes with
everything, and soldiered on.
 |
| Wine goes with everything. |
Let me know if you’re interested in painting with me on the Schoodic Peninsula
in beautiful Acadia National Park in 2015 or Rochester at any time. Click here for more information on my Maine
workshops! Download a brochure
here.
No comments:
Post a Comment