This week I’m on the
road. I’ve left you with six landscape paintings that should be on everyone’s
Top Ten list, but probably aren’t (for the simple reason that there are way too
many great paintings out there).
| The Meeting (Bonjour Monsieur Courbet), Gustave Courbet, 1854 |
Courbet was one cocky artist, and he knew how to work at his
own celebrity. In this painting, Courbet painted himself meeting his patron and
supporter, Alfred Bruyas. The servant is—duh!—servile, but patron and artist
are meeting on the same social plane. Gone
is any idea of the artist as a hired hand; here Courbet announces his own
genius.
Courbet was controversial,
charismatic and absolutely political. He was uncompromisingly realistic in both
his landscape and figure painting (which were, in some cases, absolutely
pornographic). I can’t aspire to his artistic genius, but I sure like his
approach to life. On the other hand, he died of liver failure at age 58.
Join me in October, 2013 at
Lakewatch Manor—which is selling out fast—or let me know if you’re interested
in painting with me in 2014. Click here for more information on my Maine
workshops!
No comments:
Post a Comment