![]() |
| My watercolor graphic for the invitation. Yes, it dangles. It is meant to be a corner ornament. |
| OK, kids, go ask your grandparents what this tool was. And think that I paid $48 for it in the 1980s. That's like $2000 today. (I saved it in case I can figure out how to use it as a depilatory.) |
What a lovely time to be a designer this is! Never has
software been so fluid, flawless and flexible. High speed digital printing has
rendered service bureaus, separations, film, and press proofs obsolete. The
technical barriers that stood between idea and realization have pretty much
been eliminated. You have an inspiration; an hour later it’s uploaded and on
its way. And if you don’t have any skill, you can do a pretty bang-up job just
using the templates available online. (Try that
with painting.)
| The last project for which I was able to buy paper at XPedX. |
(I am a bit wistful when I see all the wonderful hand-drawn
typefaces shared so freely across the internet. As a youngster I loved typeface
design, but there was no way to convert one’s own typography to anything useful.
It’s almost enough to make one envy the young.)
But in the past few years there has been a less-welcome
change in the graphics industry. The demise of small offset print shops has led
to the corresponding demise of the small paper shops which supported them. The
rise of big box office supply stores has undone small stationers. Last year XPedX
closed their retail stores nationwide. One’s paper-buying options in Western
New York seem to be limited to office supply stores (which specialize in copy
paper) and craft stores (which specialize in scrapbooking papers).
| All off-whites are not created equal. |
Finally, I found a throwback, a lovely woman named Cheryl
who works in a paper warehouse in Buffalo. She was willing to take the time to
work with me on my very small order. Quickly we ascertained that in the limited
time we had, our color choices were ivory, ivory, or ivory. Luckily, the bride
likes off white, and I have some accent sheets from a prior project that will dovetail
quite nicely.
There are some things you just can’t order blind over the
internet: sun-kissed garden tomatoes, silk lingerie, and paper you’ve never
seen, touched or felt. I solved today’s problem but I don’t know what the
long-term answer will be.
Join us in October,
2013 at Lakewatch Manor—which is selling out fast—or let me know if you’re
interested in painting with me in 2014. Click here for
more information on my Maine workshops!

3 comments:
Goodbye, Carbon World...
Here is a throwback for you- In 8th grade (1972) I got to take a graphic art design class instead of home economics for an elective choice. I got to spend at least half a semester learning how to set type with the compositor stick and consider words from a very different vantage point. Times change!
And, yes, I used to love trips to XPedX and would add to my paper collection by always ordering a few (cough, cough quite a bunch) over the necessary order.
Do we in fact use any less paper?
Post a Comment