| Mist, by Daud Akhriev |
I needed to see some inspiring landscape today, since I’m
busy hemming dresses and baking cookies for my kid’s wedding. Providentially, I
received a link to this slideshow of Frenchboro Island (ME) paintings by Daud
Akhriev.
| Clarity, by Daud Akhriev |
The Maine coast was not (believe it or not) designed
primarily for tourists; it is above all a working waterfront, with equipment
that is—if we’re honest—rather homely. Akhriev is so inventive in his
compositions that he doesn’t need to romanticize that industrial grit out of
his landscapes. The surge and motion and energy of the working waterfront is
all there.
Akhriev was born in Kazakhstan in 1959. He graduated from
Vladikavkaz Art High School and the Academy of Fine Art in St. Petersburg (then
Leningrad) Russia, under the tutelage of Professor/Academic Piotr Fomin. Following
his graduation, Akhriev moved to the United States, where he lived and worked
for 20 years.
| Harbor Afternoon, by Daud Akhriev |
Currently he lives in Andalusia, Spain, and is an exhibiting
member of ASPAS and ESPES. He is a signature member of Oil Painters of America.
His Russian training is apparent in his paint handling, which
hews to their tradition of sparking, energetic brushwork. It’s also apparent in
his superlative drawing skills.
One more workshop left this year, and it starts next Sunday! Join me or let me know if you’re interested in painting with me in 2014. Click here for more information on my Maine workshops!
2 comments:
Gorgeous work and beautiful island. Did you know Oprah visited there? http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Frenchboro-Maine-An-Island-Community
No, I didn't. I may be the last remaining American who's never seen Oprah.
Post a Comment