| I love job lot stores, but I confess, I would have no idea what to do with this stuff. On the other hand, the old farmer in me would sure like to learn. |
Friday morning we were scheduled to take the ferry to paint
at Monhegan, but we awoke to the sound of heavy rain being driven by a stout wind.
My painters were leery of the ferry in that weather, especially knowing that
the other side was socked in with rain, and that rain often brings fog. (We
have a roof under which to paint on Monhegan, but the views would have been seriously
compromised.)
| There was still a line at Red's Eats, even in the rain. People are truly wonderful. (Photo by Corinne Avery) |
I’d been working them very hard and they were tired, so we switched
gears and decided to poke around galleries in Rockland. We included a stop at
the Island Institute’s Archipelago
shop, which showcases a broad and range of art, craft and design made by
Maine island residents. After this, we had a quick lunch, packed for us by
Lakewatch Manor—and, no, I didn’t remember to take a photo—and took a side trip
through Damariscotta, just to enjoy its loveliness.
| This poor bridge on the Mohawk seems to get regularly knocked around by flood waters. (Photo by Corinne Avery) |
Once again, our timing was exquisite. That volatile,
capricious river—the Mohawk—had overflowed the New York State Thruway earlier
in the day. By the time we were passing through, it had retreated and was
merely nipping at the margins of the road. What could have been a difficult
drive was, in fact, easy as blueberry pie. Nine hours later, I was happily
home, reading about flooding all over our state and grateful to have arrived
unscathed.
There is only one slot open for my July workshop at Lakewatch Manor in Rockland, ME, and August and September are sold out. Join us in July or October, but please hurry! Check here for more information.
2 comments:
"Easy as Blueberry Pie"-- a great way to live and travel.
We look forward to welcoming you and students back here to Lakewatch Manor next month.
We appreciate reading your blog and sharing your adventures.
I enjoyed the sidebar photo of you in the stream, I guess washing paint off of your shoes. Happy for your success and joy in painting
Post a Comment