| It's a Merdonna and Child. Or something. |
When this buoy arrived in the mail a few weeks ago, certain
members of my family were flummoxed. “Who sent us an oversized dreidel?” Since I was expecting
it, I recognized it for what it was, but then wondered whether it was supposed
to go dreidel-side up or dreidel-side down. A cursory search on the internet
was useless—evidently, Mainers are not into social conventions like which end
is up.
I took a guess, and put the stick on the bottom. Too late to
worry if it’s wrong.
| How do you paint on a buoy? Lash it to your easel. |
I am painting it for a fundraiser for the Penobscot East Resource Center to be held later this
month in Rockland, ME (more on that later). One would imagine it was a simple
matter of filling, sanding and priming the surface, but, as usual, I’m pressed
for time.
The biggest problem in painting on a curved surface turned
out not keeping the figure proportional (as I expected) but drawing a straight
horizon line. It’s very difficult to lay a ruler down on a cylinder. Tomorrow I’ll
mark it with string.
| There was a time when I used these wee little brushes a lot. That was a long time ago. |
Eventually I bungee-corded it to an easel, but I’m only
going to be able to paint on one side at a time. So much for working all parts
of a painting at the same rate of development.
Sandy just told me she learned in her Renaissance art history courses that the infant Jesus always looks so weird in order to prefigure Christ’s death. I think that’s a fiction that comes from art historians never actually painting. Just try drawing a squirming, wailing baby—without photography, you’d have to drug the little darlings to get them to hold still. My mermaid is a little hackneyed, but her baby is
coming along well.
| Baby's cute. Mom needs work. |
August and September are sold out for my workshop at Lakewatch Manor in Rockland, ME. Join us in June, July and October, but please hurry! Check here for more information.
Oh, BTW, what did the sea say to the mermaid? Nothing. It
just waved.
4 comments:
There is actually a tradition to paint baby Jesus as a man-baby. It might be earlier than the Renaissance. I don't think that theory is entirely bogus, but maybe misguided. :D
http://milkandhoney2009.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/madonna-and-child-1320-30.jpg
It could be that, the tradition of man baby had toned done, and in the process of toning down, man-baby became ugly baby.
Place the buoy in water to find out which way is up!
Now, THAT's an idea! (Although truthfully I already know they float more or less in dreidel-position.)
Post a Comment