![]() |
| If one can make a pretty photo out of squirrel ectoplasm, one can make anything beautiful! |
By the time I’m done doing my five miles and my exercises, I’m
usually ready to go back to bed.
Yesterday, I did exactly that. I’m worn out.
In May, a large stack
of empty frames clattered to the floor from an overhead shelf. As they fell straight down into an
out-of-the-way corner and I was in my usual dither, I ignored them.
It’s been a pretty crazy summer, but I have an even crazier
autumn ahead: two trips to Maine, a trip to Rye, and a daughter’s wedding, all
happening in the next six weeks. And I have to get my winter supply of canvases
in before the snow flies.
To that end, I decided I should use this glorious fall day
to straighten my workshop. I picked up the pile of frames only to learn that
they had crushed a squirrel to death. Months ago.
I confess: I’m a screamer. After Sandy Quang poked the
remains with a stick, she was a screamer too. The IT department is at his day
job. His sole contribution was a text that read, “So, meat’s back on the menu!” It was left to poor
Charles Wang to dispose of what was left of the corpse. He was remarkably calm
about it, considering that both Sandy and I were pretty well off our respective
nuts.
“What are we going to do about this mess on the floor,” I
asked Sandy.
“Take a picture,” she responded (like the true artist she
is). So I did.
I decided that spraying bleach everywhere would probably
work about as well as burning my garage down. By the time I was done
explaining to our mailman what the ruckus was about and running to the store
for bleach, my energies were quite restored. As soon as that bleach has burned its way through my floor, I’m ready to make a thousand canvases!
Join me in
October, 2013 at Lakewatch Manor—which is selling out fast—or let me know if
you’re interested in painting with me in 2014. Click here for
more information on my Maine workshops!

No comments:
Post a Comment