The Calling of Saint Matthew, 1599-1600, by Michelangelo
Merisi da Caravaggio, no stranger to sin himself.
|
Yesterday, Sandy Quang
wrote about wrestling with God and Oswald Chambers’ realization that his
calling was not to art school, but to the ministry. Last night I got this note
from a friend who is a Texan, a convert to Judaism, and who has sort of fallen
away from her spiritual practice.
I was staying with my friend Lester, in his guest room on
the lake, while another Bubba put a new steering column in my truck for me. All
day on Saturday [Yom Kippur], I was feeling guilty about not fasting, not
attending service, not hearing a shofar this year... yada, yada, yada.
Lester proceeded to get totally shit-faced drunk and act
like an ass on Saturday night. I had no truck, because it was at Mechanic Bubba’s.
We had to go to Walmart so I could get cash to pay Mechanic Bubba
the next morning. I drove Lester‘s car because he couldn’t drive anywhere
without risking arrest. (I’d been drinking tonic water.)
While I was in Walmart, a big thunderstorm rolled in. When I
ran out to the car, I was drenched in 30 seconds flat. When I started to drive
back to Lester’s house, I realized the defroster wasn’t working, so we had to
use a towel to wipe the windshield down every 30 seconds. I could only see four
feet in front of me on the highway. Someone honked at me, and I was unsure if
the headlights were even on, so I asked Lester to take a look.
I should have driven off and left him standing there.
When he got back in he started cussing at me that I had
lights. Was I happy that he was soaking wet? When we got back onto the highway,
he really started yelling. I could, literally, see nothing in front of me; the
rain was coming so hard.
I said, “Lester, you’d better stop yelling at me.” He
wouldn't stop, and I was getting mad.
Mad.
I said, “Keep talking, bud, keep talking.”
So he did. “I was a g*d d%^$*#d Air Force Navigator for
twenty effin’ years! You don’t HAVE to see anything because I know where I’m
going.”
I saw a bright light. I swerved to the side of the road,
reached in the back seat for my purse and told him “Good luck getting home
without getting arrested, because this is where I get out.”
It was 10 PM. I could see what looked like a little honkytonk,
with light streaming out of the doorway and music playing.
Lester leaned over and yelled, "That big black guy down
there is probably going to attack you!"
I stood in the middle of the road in the darkness, looked at
drunken Lester, then looked back down the hill to the source of the light and
the music. The big guy in the doorway was wearing a tallit and blowing a
shofar.
And there, in the driving thunderstorm, I laughed at Lester
and pointed down the hill. “I'll be safer down there with him than up here with
you!”
I sat outside that little multiracial church for over an
hour waiting for a ride from my mechanic. I didn’t go in, but they were very
nice and lent me a cell phone to make my call. The rest of the time I just sat
outside the open door, under the eaves of the old honkytonk. The sign was even
still up: “The Double Ringer.”
They had taken over the building but hadn't even taken the
honkytonk sign down yet.
I had a great time, and reveled in the irony that I got to
hear the shofar and preaching, and yelling, and speaking in tongues, and laying
of hands, and healing, and preaching on fornication (which I was quite proud
not to have had to ask forgiveness for).
Hearing prayers for Israel and the Jewish people, in English
and Spanish, was pretty dang cool, although I have to admit at one point, I was
looking up at G-d, saying, "Why me?" But the shofar answered that, and
I laughed. And I hope G-d laughs. Anyway, I'm pretty darn sure He must.
Join me in
October, 2013 at Lakewatch Manor—which is selling out fast—or let me know if
you’re interested in painting with me in 2014. Click here for
more information on my Maine workshops!
No comments:
Post a Comment