I’m off to Maine and
Rye! I’m leaving some of my favorite landscape paintings for you—works by
Canada’s mighty Group of Seven painters. I love them because they combine the
freshness of impressionism with a love for the northern landscape.
| The Jack Pine, 1917, Tom Thomson |
I’m well aware that Tom Thomson was never a Group of Seven
painter—he died before the group was formed. But his was the artistic force
that set them on their path.
As a graphic designer with Grip, Ltd, Thomson was in a position to influence a generation of artists. He himself was largely self-taught. His career as a painter was shockingly brief—he
started painting seriously in 1912, and was dead five years later. In that short time he produced hundreds of
small field sketches.
| The Drive, 1916, Tom Thomson |
Many of Thomson's major paintings began as field sketches
before being expanded at his studio, an old utility shack with a wood-burning
stove on the grounds of the Studio Building, an artist's enclave in Rosedale,
Toronto. Thomson sold few of these paintings
in his lifetime.
Thomson disappeared during a canoeing trip in Algonquin
Park on July 8, 1917. His body was discovered in Canoe Lake eight days later. Although
the official cause was accidental drowning, there have been questions
raised about his death ever since.
Join me in October, 2013 at Lakewatch Manor—which is selling out
fast—or let me know if you’re interested in painting with me in 2014.
Click here for
more information on my Maine workshops!
No comments:
Post a Comment